Six interesting facts about John Pierpont Morgan (illustrated here by John Mattos):
- Morgan spent almost a year of his childhood in the Azores, recovering from a bout with rheumatic fever. (John Mattos recently created several commemorative stamps for the Azore Islands).
- Morgan hated being photographed and had all his personal portraits retouched.
- His uncle composed the Christmas song "Jingle Bells".
- Morgan bought a spot for himself on the Titanic but cancelled his trip at the last minute.
- His was the first house in Manhattan to be lit with electricity.
- At his death, Morgan's art collection, much of which was donated to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, was valued at $50 million.
These little factoids swiped from Wikipedia.